National Pi Day
March 14th is Pi Day! Today is the day we celebrate the mathematical constant pi, which gives us the perfect excuse to enjoy some pie! Did you know that pi is represented by the lower case Greek letter, π, because it is the first letter of the Greek work περίμετρος, meaning perimeter?
There are many ways to celebrate National Pie day but these are some of our favorites:
- Pi is a homophone of pie - the 2 words are pronounced similarly, but are spelled differently and mean different things. Celebrate Pi Day by having lots and lots of pie.
- Have a pie baking contest. Ask participants to bake pi shaped pies. Combine it with a pie eating competition.
- Have a pi recitation contest. Anyone who can recite the most digits of the constant gets to take home a pie.
- Embrace the holiday. Wear a t-shirt that has the numbers of pi on it or sport some pi shaped accessories. Earrings perhaps?
- Eat foods that start with a pi, like pineapples and pizza or foods that are circular in shape like pancakes and cookies.
- Watch the 1998 Darren Aronofsky movie, Pi.
What is your favorite way to celebrate today?