Pre-made Smoothie Bags
With the weather warming up smoothies are playing an even bigger role in our meals. Smoothies are a satisfying way to refuel after working out, a quick breakfast on the go, or a refreshing afternoon pick me up. Have you ever thought about preparing individual smoothie bags so you don’t have to spend as long prepping the ingredients before you can turn the blender on and get your items blended? People usually freeze fresh fruit for a smoothie by type and then when they want a smoothie they need to combine all the fruit and goodies together. By creating your individual smoothie bags ahead of time its not just convenient, but also a time saver for when you’re busy and hungry!
For this post we aren’t reaching in your freezer and pulling out a ready-made smoothie. Although, boy wouldn’t that be nice! Instead we are helping you make sure you have enough fruit for your smoothie recipes and making sure they are prepared and sored in one convenient bag ahead of time. This will reduce you having to dig through your freezer for your different bags of fruit then trying to find spinach or other items hidden in your fridge all before you can even make your yummy smoothie.
· Prepare the fruit: Cut the fruit into small chunks, then arrange it in a single layer, without touching, on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
· Freeze the fruit: Place the baking sheet in the freezer for at least 4 hours.
· Prepare your bags: Label each bag with the name of the smoothie you plan to make, like Strawberry-Banana or Tropical Smoothie, and the date you packaged the fruit. You can also label the bag with the additional liquid ingredients you’ll need for your smoothie. For example 1 cup coconut milk + 12 cup Greek yogurt.
· Fill the bags: Remove the baking sheet from the freezer. Measure out the fruit according to the smoothie recipe, and transfer the appropriate amount of fruit (and greens, if you’re including them) into each bag.
· Store the individual bags in the freezer: Seal the bags and place them in the freezer. Then, pull them out one by one as you need them and your ready to go!
Keep an eye out for our next post, which highlights some of our favorite smoothies.